Re: [yast-devel] Code Review
On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 03:05:18PM +0100, Lukas Ocilka wrote:
On 12.2.2015 12:01, Steffen Winterfeldt wrote:

But seriously, the point of pull requests is that someone _else_ is looking
at it. If that someone would change himself, again someone would have to
look at it, etc...

I have to say that I agree to Steffen's understanding of a default
pull-request concept. Except that "hitting someone" to their head ;)

Code review, as we understand it now, is here to establish a process that
should keep bugs out of our code and to check that the code conforms to
given standards (tests, variable names, methods length, ...).

I don't see how the code review done here keep bugs out. Maybe
they keep some bugs out. But to generally keep bugs out would
require the reviewer to know and understand the existing code
which is often not the case.

Fact is, you're the author of that change and you're responsible. So others
may comment but not change.

That's on the other hand something else. Ownership and responsibility
should not be limited to the code that a developer has created. I myself,
for instance, feel the responsibility for all the code that my team
develops and maintains, although I have implemented just some parts here
and there.

From my understanding the persons who have to fix bugs and
implement features have the ownership and responsibility. Often
that is just one person.

Regards,
Arvin

--