Re: [yast-devel] Brainstorming Sessions
  • From: Ancor Gonzalez Sosa <ancor@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 12:25:10 +0100
On 01/29/2015 11:19 AM, Lukas Ocilka wrote:
On 28.1.2015 09:04, Ancor Gonzalez Sosa wrote:

Google Hangout works like a charm. I use it every day with highly
distributed teams.
Drawback: the big brother.

Maybe I'm wrong but we work on an upstream project and everything we do
is publicly visible, so no big deal from my POV.

I agree.

We also have a SUSE internal instance of OpenMeetings at
http://137.65.69.121:5080/openmeetings/
Drawback: it requires Flash. Performance is not as good as Hangouts.

Yep, we have tested this with Ancor and, for instance Hangout scales the
video according the current line bandwidth, in OM you have to set the
video size. On the other hand, OM has quite "nice" playground for
presentations, pictures, drawing, etc. That might be useful.

In my experience, those whiteboard thingies are not really that useful.
Google Hangouts also has "apps" on top you can use for drawing and all
that, but...
On the other hand, sharing the screen is often quite useful. That's
something you can do with Hangouts. Probably with OpenMeetings as well.

We could also install a Janus server and have something like this
http://janus.conf.meetecho.com/videomcutest.html
I based my last Hackweek project[1] on Janus and we did some test calls
with pretty decent results. We would have full control on the UI (it's
just some javascript).
Drawback: we need a machine in NUE or PRG to host the server.

We have a machine in PRG but do we want to maintain our own solution
when someone could do it for us? I myself prefer using some
whatever-party's tool to setting up and maintaining our own - everything
takes time. That's the same as maintaining our own Jenkins. Yes, we have
nodes, but that's it.

I agree, but I wanted to offer a flash-free internal alternative. I
think there is also an internal instance of Big Blue Button (which also
uses flash, anyways), but I'm not sure.

[...]

In the former openSUSE team we used Google Hangout in a quite
spontaneous way. We had (and still have) a fixed virtual room (actually
a hangout event planned for 2018) and we used the diary stand-up meeting
or IRC to coordinate meetings there whenever needed. It was the logical
and natural step after using the same room everyday for the stand-up
meetings.

Fixed virtual room in Hangout? How? That could be helpful for Yast team
as well.

As mentioned, the trick is to create an G+ online event in a distant
future. The URL of the event is permanent and includes the link to enter
the hangout room. If you invite some people to the event, they will not
even need to bookmark the url, since it will appear in their list of
upcoming events on G+.

Cheers.

--
Ancor González Sosa