Re: [yast-devel] Change in yast-rake and fragile tests
  • From: Ancor Gonzalez Sosa <ancor@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 12:24:34 +0100
On 01/15/2015 05:53 PM, Ancor Gonzalez Sosa wrote:
This change introduced in our test:unit task has caused the tests in
yast-yast2 to break.
https://github.com/yast/yast-rake/commit/b00ca0e8c8208b05698675b0cb4752552de710c9

It's actually not a fault of the change in the task. The problem is that
the tests are fragile because they pollute the global namespace in
several ways. To be honest, I'd expect test from some other repositories
to also break. Specially those written when we were still newbies with
RSpec.

I did some changes in order to fix it but found another problem. Here is
the patch, not intended to enhance or refactor the tests in any way,
just to fix the minimum needed to make them run again.
https://github.com/ancorgs/yast-yast2/commit/a5c09480081be09d894f2df3a8b36a32dc3c26c4

The weird thing is that I needed to introduce the line marked with a
FIXME, which means that closing the default SCR is not as secure as all
our tests assume. Looking at the yast2-core source code I'd say that the
line is actually needed and we need to update quite some tests and the
documentation. But it's the core, so of course I could be wrong.

That's the question I was trying to open in the phone call. We need to
fix the broken tests in yast-yast2 and, for sure, in many other modules.
How to proceed about the branches?

1) For maintenance branches like SLE12 and 13.2

Do we want to fix it?

They work with the version of yast-rake present in SLE12 and 13.2, but
we cannot run "rake test:unit" for those branches with yast-rake>0.1.8
(in Tumbleweed at the moment).

2) For master

We have to fix it (not a question) but I think that fixing, for example,
chrooting of SCR in every single module is wrong. We need to extract
this functionality to the ruby bindings and then use them in the
different modules. So in my opinion it's time to introduce RSpec helpers
for SCR in the ruby bindings.

3) For both (or only for master if we decide not to fix maint. branches)

Do we want to fix all the modules right now or only yast-yast2 and wait
to see errors in the rest? Keep in mind that in order to experiment the
errors you need to be using yast-rake>0.1.8 so the errors could persist
unnoticed for quite some time unless we all update the dev tools.

Cheers.

--
Ancor González Sosa
YaST Team at SUSE Linux GmbH