Re: [yast-devel] First steps in the new tutorial
  • From: Ancor Gonzalez Sosa <ancor@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 13:25:13 +0100
On 01/05/2015 10:18 AM, Josef Reidinger wrote:
On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 16:35:08 +0100

On 12/15/2014 05:10 PM, Ancor Gonzalez Sosa wrote:
On 12/15/2014 02:44 PM, Ladislav Slezak wrote:
Dne 15.12.2014 v 14:28 Ladislav Slezak napsal(a):
[...]
Just go ahead with the missing steps :-)

Just a note: I'd put some generic Ruby programming links (like [1]
or [2]) after the sentence "... no general Ruby subjects will be
explained." at the beginning.

Just in case someone is interested in hacking Yast but does not
have any experience with Ruby, to point to some starting point...

I added the third step, and a link to ruby-doc.org in the intro.
I'll try to write a new step every one or two days (I'd NEED to
switch to other task at least once per day).

And here you are the fourth step (SCR and unit tests).
http://ancorgs.github.io/yast-journalctl-tutorial/step4.html

Cheers.

notes:

- I think direct link to Target agent documentation can help,
especially because agent name is system and not target :)...also
something is wrong as link from README in core documentation lead to
404 http://www.rubydoc.info/github/yast/yast-core/doc/systemagent.md

I have intentionally avoided deep links to documentation when possible.
I prefer to link to rubydoc's landing page for each repo, because nobody
will remember to update the tutorial while reorganizing the
documentation of a repository.

About the name, I used Target because it's always mentioned like this in
[1]. If it's more accurate to say "the System agent, attached to the
.target path". We should then change both rubydoc and the tutorial to
keep everything in sync.
[1]http://www.rubydoc.info/github/yast/yast-core/file/doc/systemagent.md

- "since the SCR agent parsing the file "/etc/sysconfig/clock" is
attached to the path ".sysconfig.clock"" is quite confusing as it is
not general rule and driven only by scrconf file. It can lead
developer to idea that if he need agent for /etc/test/test he need to
use ".test.test" which is not true as he can use whatever he want,
just define it in scrconf

Not sure if I get the point here.

- I know my english is not perfect, but I think there should be "relies
on" instead of "which relies in "

No determiners involved, so your English is trustworthy in this case ;)
Fixed.

--
Ancor González Sosa
YaST Team at SUSE Linux GmbH