Re: [yast-devel] GUI for services management

Hello,

yes, it should be on a new thread, nevertheless I reply here for now:

On Dec 4 16:43 Ancor Gonzalez Sosa wrote (excerpt):
I think the current approach is perfect for installation, in which
you configure everything before pushing the big red button.
But I kind of agree that it has important drawbacks on running system.

I think you did not yet full understand what I mean with "One Setup" in
https://en.opensuse.org/Archive:YaST_Printer_redesign
"One setup" means the smallest amount of setup actions which lead
from one consistent state to another consistent state.

"Consistent state" is meant from the user's point of view regarding
the particular kind of setup ... and not from a low-level
(e.g. filesystem or kernel) point of view.

Note that it depends entirely on the particular case what
exactly "one setup" is according to the above definition.

For example:

* Add, modify, or delete one print queue is each "one setup"
even if there can be several print queues for one printer.
* Activate or deactivate one scanner driver is "one setup"
even if one scanner driver can be used for serveral scanners.
* Add a new harddisk and and do all what is necessary to move
for example data from existing /usr/ and /var/ directories
to new partitions on the new harddisk is "one setup" for
a harddisk management tool.

Accordingly "a whole system installation" is "one setup" so that
the current approach for installation perfectly matches the
"one setup" idea.

But in the running system there is no such thing as
"a whole system installation" and this means many current
YaST configuration modules may not match the "one setup" idea.

FWIW:

The current YaST printer and scanner configuration modules
implement the "one setup" idea (since 2008) and - guess what -
I did not get any complaint or any comment or any question
because their behaviour is different.

I assume that for the user it does not at all matter as long as
a YaST configuration module works in a reasonable way.

Accordingly I think YaST configuration modules can be changed
as wished by their individual developers as they like it and
when they like it.

I only can tell that for me it was very much easier and cleaner
to implement the YaST printer and scanner configuration modules
according to the "one setup" idea, see
https://en.opensuse.org/Archive:YaST_Printer_redesign
... it makes the implementation more complicated and therefore
results more bugs.
For example when a print queue is deleted and a new queue with the
same name is set up, the implementation could not just delete it,
but must somehow fake in the user interface as if it was already
deleted and as if the new one was already set up until the actual
deletion and set up happens during "finish" but what should it do
when the deletion or set up fails for whatever reason? ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
--
SUSE LINUX GmbH -- Maxfeldstrasse 5 -- 90409 Nuernberg -- Germany
HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg) GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendoerffer