Re: [yast-devel] Yast and Rubocop? 80 columns
On Mon, Dec 01, 2014 at 10:57:16AM +0100, Josef Reidinger wrote:
On Mon, 01 Dec 2014 10:52:06 +0100
Lukas Ocilka <lukas.ocilka@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 1.12.2014 10:01, Martin Vidner wrote:
If not "80 columns", what rule should we use, if any?

1. Use common sense

2. IMO 80 columns should be a recommendation not a hard-stop

3. Sometimes it makes sense to have more than 80 columns, obviously,
as we now use GitHub, it might make sense to "limit" number of columns
to fit the tool view. Although this sounds a little bit
illogically :)

In other words: 80 is NTH, not REQ

For the record, I can see 107 characters in the GitHub view ;-)

I agree that 80 should be NTH, but rubocop require hard rule.

That is customizable:

"Cops can customize their severity level. All cops support the
Severity param. Allowed params are refactor, convention, warning,
error and fatal."

rubocop --fail-level Minimum severity for exit with error code

Metrics/LineLength has "convention" severity.

I think
we should also have hard rule, otherwise we can end up like in
bootloader where is line with 299 chars and it is very very hard to
read such line. For me hard rule should be something between 100-120
chars and only when it make sense as it is hard to read such line.

--
Martin Vidner, Cloud & Systems Management Team
http://en.opensuse.org/User:Mvidner

List Navigation
Follow Ups