Re: [yast-devel] Yast and Rubocop? 80 columns
On Mon, 01 Dec 2014 10:52:06 +0100
Lukas Ocilka <lukas.ocilka@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 1.12.2014 10:01, Martin Vidner wrote:
A practical example that I encountered last week:

https://github.com/yast/yast-yast2/commit/b3ff10aebd39aa0a446e6d7004fbe5821ec05f91

As you can see, you cannot see the text because the GitHub
formatting cuts it off. (On my 1920 pixel wide display, the diff
viewport is 820 pixels no matter how I resize the browser window.)
I solved it by applying the style guide rule and made it fit to 80
columns, since I was editing the text anyway.

If not "80 columns", what rule should we use, if any?

1. Use common sense

2. IMO 80 columns should be a recommendation not a hard-stop

3. Sometimes it makes sense to have more than 80 columns, obviously,
as we now use GitHub, it might make sense to "limit" number of columns
to fit the tool view. Although this sounds a little bit
illogically :)

In other words: 80 is NTH, not REQ

Bye
Lukas

I agree that 80 should be NTH, but rubocop require hard rule. I think
we should also have hard rule, otherwise we can end up like in
bootloader where is line with 299 chars and it is very very hard to
read such line. For me hard rule should be something between 100-120
chars and only when it make sense as it is hard to read such line.

Josef