Re: [yast-devel] Yast and Rubocop? 80 columns
On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 02:05:37PM +0100, Lukas Ocilka wrote:
On 28.11.2014 11:16, Arvin Schnell wrote:
Suppose there is an advantage when using longer lines, e.g. there
are less lines or the formatting is just "nicer". Then the 80
columns rule comes at a cost for developers having a "modern"
environment.

The "rationale" in the coding style surely avoids such balancing
and thus should just be burned.

I often try to reach those 80 cols rule, but I prefer descriptive
class, method and variable names.

This rule made a lot of sense when there were 1024x768 displays all
over the place. IMO it's good to have "some" limit, but 80 is
insanely low.

I have already pointed out the SUSE style guide. Let us see what the
community Ruby style guide says:

- Limit lines to 80 characters.
https://github.com/bbatsov/ruby-style-guide#80-character-limits

I don't want to be dogmatic. Whatever we agree on.

A practical example that I encountered last week:

https://github.com/yast/yast-yast2/commit/b3ff10aebd39aa0a446e6d7004fbe5821ec05f91

As you can see, you cannot see the text because the GitHub
formatting cuts it off. (On my 1920 pixel wide display, the diff
viewport is 820 pixels no matter how I resize the browser window.)
I solved it by applying the style guide rule and made it fit to 80
columns, since I was editing the text anyway.

If not "80 columns", what rule should we use, if any?
--
Martin Vidner, Cloud & Systems Management Team
http://en.opensuse.org/User:Mvidner

List Navigation