Re: [yast-devel] GUI for services management
On 26.11.2014 15:20, Ancor Gonzalez Sosa wrote:
Neither do I. Neither do the QA guys according to
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QeVFspHYGMPtEZtkVkOO_WsoEoTNrtIlDvyLOJkqrTE/edit#gid=0

But that was the implemented behaviour. And it was by user request.

The good point about Ken's proposal is that it does not only target
common user (let's assume for a while that we can consider ourselves as
such) but it tries to target all users (even those with a strange
mindset that leaded us to this point).

The common workflow should be implemented in way which we expect that logically makes sense.

Whenever we can't decide what is the correct decision, we have to ask user.

Examples:
Trust this GPG key?
Install these recommended packages?

A common expectation I've seen is that when user configures a service in Yast, but keeps "start at boot" disabled, expects that the service will not start when they close Yast with OK. But these users ALSO expect the service to keep stopped when they configure the service for the first time and SELECT "start at boot". You know why? Because when you are configuring the service, you do not do it at system startup. I myself would have a different expectation - and that's where it all started: different expectations in the very same situation.

I'd normally agree. But the problem with this approach is that several
fields and field combinations has proved to be understood in different
ways by different users. Ken's solution was to add extra checks. I
think it makes sense even if I usually dislike pop-ups.

Still I think we maybe just need to separate action buttons ( like
start/stop service ) from configuration options ( like start during
boot ). This should help with confusion without pop-ups.

Do you mean in a completely different section (with "section" I mean
those at the left like "start-up" or "forwarders")?

Would it be an option to add them in the same row that other actions
like "cancel" or "ok"?

We are mixing papas y boniatos here. We are talking about ALL services, they do not need to be configured via Yast module that uses tree widget for navigation. Some use tabs, other use wizard-like workflow.

Thx
Lukas

Cloud & Systems Management Department, SUSE Linux