[yast-devel] GUI for services management
  • From: Ancor Gonzalez Sosa <ancor@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 18:48:41 +0100
We have been discussing the current usability problems in all modules
that manages servers taking this dns-server screenshot as starting
point. http://paste.opensuse.org/51547407

We mainly have two problems:
- Users expect different effects on running/stopped
after changing enabled/disabled (and vice versa).
- Sometimes is not so clear when settings should be written to
configuration files and when that configuration should be applied to
a running server (service reload).

I'll try to summarize a possible solution after listening to QA team and
SUSE's UX team. For details check [1]

1) Change the UI for enabling/disabling. We don't need a box with radio
buttons. It would it better to have a single checkbox.
[X] Start DNS server when booting

2) Remove the "reload" button in its current form

3) Add a button [Apply current settings] which works exactly like "ok"
but without quitting. Initially disabled. Enabled once the user has
changed something.

4) Use pop-ups to ask the user about their intentions when saving
changes or running the server. A subtle but important detail - the goal
of the pop-ups is exposing functionality and offering options, not
warning about something that some users can perceive as problems (and
others don't).

4.a) User changed any configuration and clicked on "Start Server Now".

Show dialog with "changes are pending" message and two options:
"Cancel" and "Save Settings and Start Server Now".

4.b) User changed any configuration and clicked "ok" or "apply":

First of all, save settings to configuration files.
Next step depends on current situation:

a) Server is not running
Ask the user if they would like to start the server now

b) Server is running and “start when booting” is marked
Reload the server

c) Server is running and “start when booting” is not marked
Ask the user if they would like to stop the server now.
If they decide to keep it running, reload the server.

What do you think? I'd say it makes a lot of sense. But I'm not sure how
the reloading of setting is currently managed in most cases and if
somebody could complain about the settings being "immediately" effective
on already running services.

Cheers.

[1]
https://trello.com/c/Xu7BKag3/181-use-case-for-service-start-stop-enable-disable