Re: [yast-devel] Yast and Rubocop?
Dne 24.11.2014 v 19:56 Ladislav Slezak napsal(a):
I looked at Rubocop (a Ruby code scanner) [1] and tried to use it in the
registration
module to see if it could be used in Yast to improve the code quality.

[...]

- it can auto correct many issues (esp. indentation and white space)

Rubocop can be extended via plugins, e.g. there is an extra plugin for additional RSpec checks [1].

The interesting feature is the "--auto-correct" option which enables auto fixing
of the found issues (if supported by the respective check). That means Rubocop can parse, analyze, edit the parsed tree and serialize it back to a Ruby source.

My question is: Could be the Rubocop infrastructure used for the YCP Zombie
Killer?
Could it be changed to a Rubocop plugin? (Maybe it's not possible, I do not know the Rubocop neither the YCP ZK internals...)

Then it could check for deprecated Builtins.* and Ops.* method calls, it could even check for deprecated Yast modules like Yast::String, Yast::URL which should be replaced by a native Ruby code (IIRC that's WIP by Christopher).

The deprecated method check in Rubocop looks quite easy [2], but there is no context which is probably needed for ZK...

Martin?

[1] https://github.com/nevir/rubocop-rspec
[2] https://github.com/bbatsov/rubocop/blob/master/lib/rubocop/cop/lint/deprecated_class_methods.rb

--