[yast-devel] Yast and Rubocop?
  • From: Ladislav Slezak <lslezak@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 19:56:00 +0100

Hi all,

I looked at Rubocop (a Ruby code scanner) [1] and tried to use it in the
registration
module to see if it could be used in Yast to improve the code quality.

I have summarized my findings in a blog post [2], in short:

- it is highly configurable
- it can find also some semantic issues
- it suggests how to fix the found issues
- it can auto correct many issues (esp. indentation and white space)

You can see the found issues and fixes in this pull request [3]. Many issues were just harmless indentation or white space issues, but some were quite critical like this "private" attribute misuse [4]. Majority of the issues were autocorrected
by Rubocop itself, I just reviewed the changes and committed each fix in a separate commit to see what was the problem and how it was fixed.

What do you think about Rubocop and Yast? Would it make sense to use it globally for all modules? What would be the pros and cons for you? Would you like to fix the
coding issues in the existing code?

Thanks for your feedback!

[1] https://github.com/bbatsov/rubocop
[2] http://lslezak.blogspot.cz/2014/11/using-rubocop.html