Re: [yast-devel] [RFC] Versioning: master vs SLE-12-GA branches
On Wed, 15 Oct 2014 18:13:03 +0200
Lukas Ocilka <lukas.ocilka@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 15.10.2014 17:32, Martin Vidner wrote:
On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 04:53:25PM +0200, Lukas Ocilka wrote:
When should we switch from 3.1.$X to 3.1.X.$Y? There are two
possibilities:

* immediately, even if we still do the very same changes
in both branches - we would need to change the version when
merging to master

* when they start to differ - we need to keep this in mind all
the time and we might forget because it's hard to think in advance:
does master have already something else that will not be in
the SLE-12-GA branch? Does it already differ?

Same version IFF same code. Therefore only diverge the versions when
the code differs.

But this is a bit tricky when you have to push some NEW code to
master and then ... then what? Mark SLE-12-GA branch as "Please, use
3.1.X.$Y scheme next time you do some changes here"? Or just directly
increase the SLE-12 version using that scheme?

In fact, this (IFF, diverge when different) would be logically my
choice as well, but you should expect that you might not be the next
one who adds some changes to SLE-12-GA branch and will not remember
to use the "maintenance" versioning style. The workflow is definitely
error-prone.

Any better idea?
Lukas

I am using it now, as there is already some non SLE-12 fixes in
bootloader that goes only to opensuse and SP1. Also some cleaning is
not for SLE-12-GA.
I think that check if versions are same are quite easy, just use
reverse command then in checking if maintenance is merged to master. So
simple
git pull
git log origin/SLE-12-GA..origin/master # if nothing appear, then all
merged

Josef