Re: [yast-devel] [RFC] Versioning: master vs SLE-12-GA branches
On 15.10.2014 17:32, Martin Vidner wrote:
On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 04:53:25PM +0200, Lukas Ocilka wrote:
When should we switch from 3.1.$X to 3.1.X.$Y? There are two possibilities:

* immediately, even if we still do the very same changes
in both branches - we would need to change the version when
merging to master

* when they start to differ - we need to keep this in mind all the
time and we might forget because it's hard to think in advance:
does master have already something else that will not be in the
SLE-12-GA branch? Does it already differ?

Same version IFF same code. Therefore only diverge the versions when
the code differs.

But this is a bit tricky when you have to push some NEW code to master and then ... then what? Mark SLE-12-GA branch as "Please, use 3.1.X.$Y scheme next time you do some changes here"? Or just directly increase the SLE-12 version using that scheme?

In fact, this (IFF, diverge when different) would be logically my choice as well, but you should expect that you might not be the next one who adds some changes to SLE-12-GA branch and will not remember to use the "maintenance" versioning style. The workflow is definitely error-prone.

Any better idea?
Lukas

Cloud & Systems Management Department, SUSE Linux