Re: [yast-devel] openQA development restarted
On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 13:30:04 +0200

Looks like some individuals and teams inside SUSE have coincidentally
decided to give a hand to openQA development in the following weeks.
It seems like a nice opportunity to put the focus into the things we
miss for Yast testing.

According to a meeting this morning, next goal will be to have openQA
running on different architectures. We expect Dinar Valeev to make it
run in POWER next week (shouldn't be a big deal). There are also
chances of Bernhard Wiedemann putting some effort into bringing the
real hardware (kvm2usb) support back.

Hi Ancor,
thanks for bringing it attention.
At first I am not sure if kvm2usb is good way. I think nicer way is to
use special hardware similar like customers so serial console + vnc or
ssh with forwarded X

Once we have tests for POWER running succesfully, the next big thing
would be aggregate the results of different architectures in just one
openQA webUI (right now, workers and webUI must share the filesystem,
which means a separate host with its webUI per architecture). The
cheap way would be some mechanism for exporting/importing results, so
we simply integrate the results of the POWER openQA into the main
one. The really good way would be having distributed workers with
just one central point for coordination and webUI. The former
openSUSE team never had enough time and manpower to do that and
always considered this to be a nice use case for SUSE's cloud
technologies. Looks like now the Cloud Team, Dinar and some people
from QA are eager to help in that regard.

yes, this will be very cool. Similar architecture we use for jenkins
where main server only check if new run is needed and collect results,
but tasks are done on runners.

The goal of this mail is not only reporting what can we expect from
the nearest future, but to collect more ideas. According to our recent
thread about integration tests, we also want:

- VNC (already implemented, actually).

Really use VNC for all tasks. I hope that vnc can bring easy real
hardware testing.

- Resurrect the OCR support.

Maybe research if it really makes tests more robust, so we can have
tasks like click OK button, write "abc" to text entry with label label1
and so on.

- Use cloud for parallelism and snapshots (already considered, as
explained above).
- Tree of requirements/snapshots, with information how to get to
every state.
- Improved debugging capabilities.

I will add thinks like
- hooks to run it when OBS build finished ( like if we create our own
testing iso )
- callbacks ( so we can configure it to send mail to mailing list if
yast specific test failed or to notify jenkins that new build passed,
so we can delay submit request till openQA confirm we do not break
anything ).
- easier needle modification ( or how they call screenshots :) I think
on side like send pull request, someone confirm that it really should
look like it and merge it.
- user management

I'd say that most of them (if not all) are already in the openQA
project tracker. But there are way too many things there, so we need
to rise the relevant things up.
https://progress.opensuse.org/projects/openqav3/issues?per_page=100

So, time for wish-listing :-)

Cheers.

PS.- Quite some time ago, I did for openQA the same we are doing now
for Yast, so if you are looking for a central piece of information
about openQA, visit the documentation section of the landing page at
http://os-autoinst.github.io/openQA/

nice, thanks for sharing

Josef