Re: [yast-devel] Why not place refactoring in backlog
Dne 31.7.2014 10:21, Arvin Schnell napsal(a):
On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 03:32:50PM +0200, Josef Reidinger wrote:

I found this nice article[1] that nicely and visible summarize all my
arguments why refactoring should not be separated tasks, but integral
part of all work. I think it deserve reading.

In general I agree with the article but it doesn't apply to YaST
since we already have years of backlog for refactoring. So for us
making it correct does not take a "little bit longer" but likely
several times as long. Also doing a bit refactoring always has
the risk of regressions and without unit tests *and* integration
tests these are hard to discover so often I just do not dare.

I'd recommend everybody in the YaST team to read Working Effectively with Legacy Code [1]. It deals exactly with the scenario you are facing (lots of untested and sometimes poorly understood code which you need to make changes in and tame it over time). It contains a lot of helpful techniques, tips, and it challenges the way you think about code and its architecture. I can't recommend it highly enough.

[1] http://www.amazon.com/Working-Effectively-Legacy-Michael-Feathers/dp/0131177052

--
David Majda
SUSE developer