Re: [yast-devel] sle12 network config in linuxrc
On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 11:31:37AM +0200, Steffen Winterfeldt wrote:
== network config in sle12 ==

Steffen, thanks for documenting this!

But posts on a mailing list get out of date, and need a search
engine to be reached. Please copy this to
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Linuxrc
(or maybe create https://github.com/openSUSE/linuxrc/tree/master/doc ?)

That's why there is now the new 'ifcfg' option. The example above would look
like

static: ifcfg=*=10.0.1.1/24,10.0.1.254,10.0.1.2,suse.de
dhcp: ifcfg=*=dhcp

The general syntax is

ifcfg=interface_name_or_pattern[.vlanid]=ip_addr_list,gateway,namserver_list,ns_search_list[,any_ifcfg_option=foo,...]
ifcfg=interface_name_or_pattern[.vlanid]=dhcp[46]

It will create ifcfg/ifroute files for all matching interfaces (dhcp) resp.
the first matching interface (static setup), then run 'wicked ifup all' and
if wicked managed to bring up at least one interface, assume that tings
worked.

Will these options appear in install.inf too? The old style options
do. I don't know how much yast2-network still depends on them.

ip_addr_list and namserver_list are space-separated lists, so don't forget
to quote the 'ifcfg' option value.

Single quotes, double quotes?

What if someone decides this is a great place to use unusual
characters, like this?

ifcfg=eth0=dhcp,WIRELESS_ESSID="Joe's\twifi"

If they are allowed we should make sure the install.inf parser
a) understands them, b) at least ignores them.
--
Martin Vidner, Cloud & Systems Management Team
http://en.opensuse.org/User:Mvidner