Re: [yast-devel] very unimpressed by found changes
On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 05:36:17AM -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
On 2014-07-25 11:13 (GMT+0200) Arvin Schnell composed:

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 10:52:26AM +0200, Josef Reidinger wrote:

When I open Fstab options after having selected volume label as the
default mount by, why for a freshly formatted target / partition
with volume label is UUID preselected instead of Volume Label?

Question for Arvin - added to CC.

As long as you have not set a label the mount method cannot be
by-label.

It's also unclear e.g. whether you *create* the volume before or
after you have set the default mount-by method.

Some people have the foresight to plan in advance of installation how they
want their storage configured, and have it ready to go when installation
begins.

I thought it perfectly clear by saying

for a freshly formatted target / partition with volume label

That means I did, and do, all partitioning, and filesystem creation, in
advance of starting any operating system installer. I use one and only one
partitioning tool for all my systems and disks. It's one never included in
any Linux, Mac or Windows installer, but has binaries for DOS, Linux, Mac,
OS/2 & Windows, which means there's never any partition table
incompatibility among operating systems on my disks as long as no installer
has done something unnecessary, unwanted and unauthorized.

OK, it was unclear to me that you do not create and format the
partitions with YaST.

Where the mount points set by the storage proposal? In that case
you can only set the default mount-by method after the proposal
code has run so the volumes are not affected anymore by the
default settings. I created a feature request years ago to solve
this problem but so far it was not implememented.

Regards,
Arvin

--
Arvin Schnell, <aschnell@xxxxxxx>