Re: [yast-devel] yast Mode.* variables
On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 11:54:23 +0200 (CEST)
Steffen Winterfeldt <snwint@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Having just learned about the Mode.autoupgrade variable I did some
research and found a total of 12 instances of Mode.* (maybe I missed
some):

Mode.autoinst
Mode.autoupgrade
Mode.commandline
Mode.config
Mode.installation
Mode.live_installation
Mode.normal
Mode.repair
Mode.screen_shot
Mode.test
Mode.testsuite
Mode.update

I think they should not only be prominently documented but preferably
the number should be reduced.

They are a nuisance and one of the reasons yast is so hard to debug.
There's always some use case with some unexpected combination of
them. This just asks for trouble.

IMO

Steffen

I agree that there is too much modes and it is quite confusing.
For me it make sense to merge stages and modes and have these ones
flags:

- first_stage? ( is it first stage )
- second_stage?
- system? ( not first nor second stage, something like mode normal )
- installation?
- update?
- automatic? ( all modes that use control file to pass some
configuration so autoinstallation and autoupgrade )
- export? ( indicates that we only export autoyast profile, but for me
it indicates that code is wrongly organized if it need it )
- commandline?
- testsuite? ( we should drop it in future as old testsuite is horrible
).

Josef

Josef