Re: [yast-devel] yast Mode.* variables
On 07/22/2014 12:12 PM, Arvin Schnell wrote:
On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 11:54:23AM +0200, Steffen Winterfeldt wrote:
Having just learned about the Mode.autoupgrade variable I did some research
and found a total of 12 instances of Mode.* (maybe I missed some):

I think they should not only be prominently documented but preferably the
number should be reduced.

They are a nuisance and one of the reasons yast is so hard to debug. There's
always some use case with some unexpected combination of them. This just
asks for trouble.

I second that. When I was fixing some bugs for the yast2-s390
module it was (and still is) unclear to me what combination of
Mode and Stage settings are possible and how e.g. the Read,
Write, Import, Export functions should behave depending on the
settings.

I think that we need that many modes. Just look at the control file, you will find different workflow for most of them and the mode is there to select the right one. Therefore, when AutoYaST upgrade (with a new work-flow) was introduced, it was needed to also introduce a new mode. And I think that the same will happen if another kind of work-flow is introduced.

There are wrappers in Mode.rb, which aggregate the individual modes (e.g. Mode.install is true for live install as well as autoinstall, in case you don't care).

The other question is whether we don't rely too much on the information about the mode, perhaps there are other ways to find out?

In any case, I agree that documentation should be improved.

Jiri

--
Regards,

Jiri Srain