Re: [yast-devel] Yast Development after SLE 12: Why, What, How Much
On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 13:54:19 +0200
Arvin Schnell <aschnell@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 01:48:42PM +0200, Josef Reidinger wrote:

For me success measurement is also how much developer worry that he
brake something. It usually is solved by tests and it can be
measured - https://github.com/mbj/mutant

So for me reasonable metrics on which we should focus for
refactoring:

- test coverage + mutation testing ( to not scare modify code )
- file size ( noone want to read too long files, hard to search,
hard to test, hard to keep all dependencies )
- method size ( hard to understand method that do too much and also
hard to change it with keeping all stuff in mind )
- public interface size ( smaller better, provide good API, that do
all needed and not more, easier to keep things backward compatible
), in converted code it is number of methods in publish, for new
code public methods on classes -

http://pdepend.org/documentation/software-metrics/number-of-public-methods.html

In general we can be inspired by already existing metrics, e.g. for
object oriented code -
http://agile.csc.ncsu.edu/SEMaterials/OOMetrics.htm

Please keep in mind that we have code in several languages,
e.g. Ruby, C++, Perl, Bash, Python, and also plain data,
e.g. XML.

Regards,
Arvin

Good point,
there is two ways how to see it

- we are going to unify it to ruby and c++ and of course data in
various formats, so in current world, where is two main ways of
coding ( functional and object ) make more sense for us to
use object one as we need states and also ruby support it quite
nicely.

- principles of object oriented code can be used in always all
languages, it is just question how hard it is. Even gtk in pure C use
objects (BTW target map passed to some storage methods also simulate
object, just it is not coupled with its methods).

I think a lot of principles written above make sense even in not pure
object oriented language.

Josef