Re: [yast-devel] y2m use cases
  • From: "J. Daniel Schmidt" <jdsn@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 11:32:51 +0100
On Tuesday 25 March 2014 10:45:19 Josef Reidinger wrote:
i've started dabbling in yast-meta (y2m), and i'm curious how much of
it i can remove without stepping on anyone's toes. :)

* do you use y2m?

Just a short note on the history of y2m:
The y2m tool was created when we switched the YaST repos from SVN to git. It
should help people who only knew svn by that time. It was meant to help them
to get a full clone easily and to keep track of the modules they maintain (FAV
feature).

That was its original purpose. I guess the situation now has changed, people
know git, and new use cases arise. So feel free to adapt the tool in any way.

* do you have some use cases y2m does not support?
what would be welcome additions?

simple use case that for each clone do `git checkout master && git
pull` . Now I solving it using `for`

Thats already possible:
y2m co master ALL
y2m up ALL

If you want to do it in one step you could create a new y2m command.

Or even better (I only had the idea, but it never made it into y2m):
Make y2m a wrapper for any command, so something like this could work:

y2m ALL "git checkout master && git pull"
y2m FAV "echo 'Jon Doe' >> AUTHORS ; git commit -a -m 'update authors'"

That would save lots of loops.

Also filter for dropped modules will be nice ( quite easy to recognize
as it contain only README.md and something .gitignore )

Feel free to add it :)

Ciao,
Daniel

--