Re: [yast-devel] What means calling Service.[Start|Stop|Enable|Disable]("foo")?

Hello,

On Feb 24 11:10 Vladimir Moravec wrote (excerpt):
Honestly, I'm far from being an expert in systemd

Neither am I.

I falsely assumed the "systemd guys" would have known
how to do "the right thing" to get systemd support for CUPS
so that it actually works in our current environment
(in prarticular that also YaST can manage the cupsd).

I feel that there is lack of complete information on how to control
services via systemd correctly and I'm glad that you started this
discussion.

I also don't know how to control services via systemd correctly.

However, I can't stop asking me the question: how managed
package maintainers those systemd issues at other distros?

I do not understand the question because other distros
do not use YaST as end-user frontend to manage services.

When using plain systemctl it works of course also for
complicated systemd units with several unit files.

In Yast the systemd support we currently have is only basic one.
Once we know what the best practice in managing systemd units is,
we'll implement it as needed.

This again matches perfectly my observation and accordingly
it is currently exactly "the right thing" to get systemd support
for a service "foo" that actually works in our current environment
to provide only one single systemd unit file foo.service
(and nothing else, particular no foo.socket or foo.path and so on).

yast2-services-manager is built on top of `systemctl`.

I don't know about yast2-services-manager details but I think
if yast2-services-manager is basically only a GUI for systemctl
then yast2-services-manager would be insufficient to be a really
useful end-user frontend to manage services because plain systemctl
is too low level.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner