Re: [yast-devel] until in ruby
On Wed, 15 Jan 2014 12:09:38 +0100
Arvin Schnell <aschnell@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

I was looking for a until loop in Ruby and found this:

begin
<code>
end until <condition>

It is heavily used in the generated code. Unfortunately the Ruby
inventor himself doesn't like this and would like to remove it,
see:

http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-core/6741

AFAIS there's no real until loop in Ruby. The common suggestion
is to use loop:

loop do
<code>
break <condition>
end

Is that true? Or do newer Ruby version offer a real until loop?

Regards,
Arvin

Hi Arvin,
I am not aware of any change in newer ruby. In fact in loops aren't
much used in object languages, because you more often iterate over
collection so something like
collection.each
is used.
Even if Matz above mention that we would like to remove it, I
think that because he do not remove it for eight years, he cannot
easily remove it, so you can use it. If you place here code you would
like to do, there is always way how to do it without until.

Josef