[yast-devel] Serial console in VirtualBox
  • From: Ladislav Slezak <lslezak@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 15:39:38 +0100

Hi,

we have discussed serial console support several times at the meetings,
without much output (except "it should work") without any idea about testing.

I found out that VirtualBox supports also serial port emulation which can
be used for emulating a serial console.

Here is a short HowTo for emulating a serial console in VirtualBox:

- Install "socat" utility ("zypper in socat", it's included in 12.3 and 13.1)

- Create a new virtual machine in VBox, configure it for installing the
requested
product (i.e. add the selected ISO image as a virtual CD drive)

- In "Settings" -> "Serial Ports" set "Enable Serial Port", "Port Number": COM1,
"Port Mode": "Host Pipe"

Select "Create Pipe" checkbox, enter path to the created pipe file in
"Port/File Path" (e.g. "/tmp/com1")

- Boot the machine

- In the host run command "socat unix-connect:/tmp/com1
stdio,raw,echo=0,icanon=0"
in a terminal (replace "/tmp/com1" by the path set in the serial port config)

- In the VM boot prompt add "console=ttyS0,115200" option (or you can enter that
using the text menu in the serial console)

- Start the installation

- You should see the boot process and then textmode Yast installer in the serial
console terminal. Install the system as usually, there is nothing specific to
serial console installation (besides it is in textmode).

I have tested the latest NI ISO image and the installation was successful!
After reboot you can log into the machine using the serial console as well.

(in some Beta, to make sure we did not break it).

--

Ladislav Slez√°k
Appliance department / YaST Developer