Re: [yast-devel] YaST module documentation
  • From: Ancor Gonzalez Sosa <ancor@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 16:08:48 +0100
On 11/28/2013 03:28 PM, Josef Reidinger wrote:
On Thu, 28 Nov 2013 15:21:39 +0100
Nanuk Krinner <nkrinner@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking for documentation or a guide on how to write a yast
module. Is there anything available? Or is there a module you'd
recommend to look at first?

Regards,
Nanuk

Hi Nanuk,
welcome to yast development.
For documentation there is some ancient parts available at [1] but after
conversion to ruby big part of it is no longer valid. We plan to make
new documentation which we start at [2], but it is far from complete
now. For modules that you can take as example I recommend
yast2-services-manager that is new module to handle systemd services
and do not use deprecated stuff from ycp conversion[3]. There is plan
to write one more new module, but it is not yet started. If you have
any questions feel free to ask us, we can then update documentation to
include all important stuff. Also we can point you to more specific
document that describe part in which you are interested in.

A very useful advise Josef gave me when I was going to start my own
module some days ago (I'm just copying and pasting his words):

"It is important to understand at start directory structure under src
initial mapping is at
https://github.com/yast/ycp-killer/#new-yast-module-structure but it
miss explanation. In general the most important are modules (which is
singleton holder and provider of shared functionality), clients (scripts
called to perform action), include (old deprecated way to include shared
code) and new lib (which is common ruby code here). If you plan to write
something from scratch I recommend to use only clients and lib, having
common ruby modules, classes etc in lib and clients which you plan to
run in clients."

This paragraph should be somewhere, was really useful to me.

Cheers.

--
Ancor González Sosa
openSUSE Team at SUSE Linux GmbH