Re: [yast-devel] Ideas for YaST Hackweek project
On Mon, Nov 04, 2013 at 09:45:04AM +0100, Ancor Gonzalez Sosa wrote:
As some of you may be aware of, openSUSE Team members were not able to
take part in the last Hackweek because we were working in the 13.1
release. It has been decided that we will have our own Hackweek the last
week of November. I would really like to do something related to YaST,
so this is a call for ideas for my YaST related Hackweek project.

Great, welcome!

I have more than 10 years of experience with Ruby. I started using it
for developing management applications with QtRuby3. At some point I

QtRuby? Incidentally, I wanted to learn that for some personal projects :)
https://github.com/mvidner/ruby-dbus/tree/master/examples/gdbus
https://github.com/mvidner/ctoolu (both using GTK now).

started using Rails and since then I have become more and more a web
developer. YaST looks like the perfect choice for my Hackweek: I can do
what I do best (coding Ruby) staying away from Rails, CSS, etc.

So, is there something that needs to be done, that fits in one week and
that requires some Ruby knowledge and not so much knowledge about YaST
internals/legacy?

YaST covers quite a broad area. Maybe first get an idea what
specifically interests you and we can find something in there. You
can start by browsing the control center on the desktop, or the code
at https://github.com/yast/

Package management? Network services? User interface?

Hmm, perhaps the top-voted feature
https://features.opensuse.org/120340 "decouple download and
installation" could be done mostly in Ruby?

--
Martin Vidner, Cloud & Systems Management Team
http://en.opensuse.org/User:Mvidner