Re: [yast-devel] Requirements for Yast testing framework
On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 11:22:21 +0200
Roman Neuhauser <rneuhauser@xxxxxxx> wrote:

# vmoravec@xxxxxxxx / 2013-08-14 10:06:54 +0200:
* minitest became part of ruby stdlib in version 1.9.2 [1]
* minitest kind of replaced some internals of test/unit lib
* minitest supports writing of traditional unit tests and also of
'specs' (Rspec DSL style). This would allow people to write their
test in prefered way and still to use single library [1]
* minitest beats rspec on complexity, some statistics are available
here [2]
* minitest supports mocking and benchmarking
* minitest developer is a Ryan Davis aka zenspider, member of
seattlerb (Seattle Ruby Brigade), perhaps the most active ruby
group worldwide [3]

looks like we have a winner to me.

The question is if we could do more and also use integration
testing [3] in the future. Like the installer could setup
partitioning and then check bootloader and software proposal.
That would probably need some UI support, but in some cases it
could be nice.

not sure about this

if it can drive code, it can drive code. integration tests are not
that different from unit tests. or am i missing something?

There is one big difference. Good unit test have minimum of mocking.
But integration test for yast means increadible bunch of mocking as you
usually don't want to break testing machine. For me integration testing
is better in simulated environment and I think it is better to use
completelly different tool like openqa or cucumber in virtualized
environment.

- Development tools integration: Currently we run "make check",
the framework should be easily used from make (or rake) from Yast
code.

check if we consider using Rake

does that mean it's hard to use outside of Rake?

Actually for me it is almost must have ability to run one test or at
least one test file as usually testing take some time and when I
detecting problem I want isolated run of test. But almost all
frameworks support it, but sometimes it needs small help.

Josef

[1]
http://www.mikeperham.com/2012/09/25/minitest-ruby-1-9s-test-framework/
[2] https://gist.github.com/rjackson/5550653#file-output-txt [3]