Re: [yast-devel] Ruby code in SCR
On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 10:40:29AM +0200, Josef Reidinger wrote:
On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 15:14:54 +0200
Klaus Kaempf <kkaempf@xxxxxxx> wrote:

* Josef Reidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx> [Jun 20. 2013 13:37]:

Idea is that installation should drive it.

Agreed.

SCR is implemented in way,
that you must use SCR and SCR must be aware where it runs, so it is
done on low level.

Exactly. Put all the 'knowledge' into SCR and shield SCR users from
this.

And this is where I see problem. Let consider two main use cases for
community developers who want to add new module to YaST or reuse part
of YaST.

1) There is already config tool for qt and have library and I want to
integrate it into YaST to get all benefits like three UIs, share
with other parts of YaST, reuse code in other parts or use such
configuration in add-on during install. ( we already use it e.g. for
dbus calls, but I see there a much more opportunities )

So what I must do is to replace all system touching calls with SCR. For
me it is really big obstacle as you must change almost complete
program or have problem to reuse existing library. If you use high level
call, then you can just said I need config library and run my GUI. And
if it is in installation in add-on, then installation ensure that
library and your client code is in place and call it in chroot, so you
don't need any change.

Is there actually a way to prevent developers to "bypass" SCR and
simply use Ruby file operations or modules to access the system?

And we shouldn't forbid others from what we do ourself, see
libzypp and libstorage. Both don't use SCR.

Regards,
Arvin