Re: [yast-devel] Ruby code in SCR
On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 12:51:22 +0200
Klaus Kaempf <kkaempf@xxxxxxx> wrote:

* Johannes Meixner <jsmeix@xxxxxxx> [Jun 20. 2013 10:52]:

Regardless how it will be implemented, what you say is basically:

Even after YCP was replaced by Ruby in YaST, arbitrary
contributors cannot just do Ruby programming as usual
to contribute something to YaST.

Exactly. You still cannot use 'puts' or 'printf' to output a string to
the UI, you need UI-specific calls. And the backend is no difference.

Where I agree with you, is the need to explain to contributors the
reason behind this decision.

Therefore I like to have it discussed here in advance if it is
possible to drop the whole idea behind SCR.

And replace it by what ?

Ruby printf to write (arbitrarily complex) config files ?

The idea behind SCR was to provide a simple API hiding the complexity
of config files from the programmer. I strongly believe this idea is
still valid.

Klaus

One idea that I use in gloves is run code in chroot. Problem is that it
means, you need already system with code installed. But for me it is
also valid approach something like

make_proposals
install_jeos
chroot("/mnt") do
write_configuration
end

But I also agree that it is quite big change.

Josef