Re: [yast-devel] YaST in GIT and keyword expansion
On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 11:38:36 +0200
Ladislav Slezak <lslezak@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Dne 12.7.2012 10:38, Togan Muftuoglu napsal(a):
Just an idea but would't using
<https://github.com/kimmormh/git-rcs-keywords> help to keep the
keywords

Oh, thanks for the link, looks interesting.

But the description contains this:

"The mechanism used are filters. The smudge filter is run on
checkout, and the clean filter is run on commit. The tags are only
expanded on the local disk, not in the repository itself."

We would have to globally agree on using it or not. I mean this could
cause unnecessary changes when submitting created tarballs to OBS.

Imagine developer A, who doesn't use keyword expansion, submits a
package to OBS, developer B uses keyword expansion and submits a
bugfix to OBS. The result is that the diff A->B contains expansions
and might be much longer than necessary.

This might be problematic when doing review for a maintenance release
(online update) in OBS.

For this reason I'd rather not use keywords at all, they can create a
mess very easily and the advantage is negligible (if any).

Any (other) opinions?

I agree with riding of keywords. I found it annoying even in svn. If we
use tags, I see no reason to use keywords in files.

Josef

--

Ladislav Slez√°k
Appliance department / YaST Developer