Re: [yast-devel] High-Contrast Installer
  • From: Bryen M Yunashko <suserocks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 08:44:28 -0500
On Wed, 2012-06-20 at 13:29 +0200, Gabriele Mohr wrote:
Am 14.06.2012 16:58, schrieb Bryen M Yunashko:

> Text mode is available but again, limited ability to see well without
> good high contrast.

Hi,

I have added an additional color scheme to the text mode YaST which you
can try out.
The scheme is activated by setting Y2NCURSES_COLOR_THEME="highcontrast"
in /etc/sysconfig/yast2.

I have taken "mono" as a base and have changed the background to a light
grey.

yast2-ncurses packages for 12.1 and Factory are here:

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=yast2-ncurses&project=home%3Agabi2%3Ayast2-ncurses

Greetings
Gabi

Hi Gabi,

Thanks for quickly looking into this. I downloaded and enabled high
contrast per your instructions and see it works. However, I think
perhaps we should add one more theme "High Contrast-Inverted." Your
high contrast theme is mainly white, which is good for some low-vision
people, but not all. Some are extremely sensitive to light stuff,
including me.

The closest "accessible" theme I have tested is rxvt. It's a good
high-contrast inverted theme except that the background is (I think)
grey? The grey gives off some light and makes it a bit hard. Although
the description for rxvt says "black-yellow-red."

If we could fix rxvt to be either actual dark black background or clone
rxvt to a new theme (high-contrast-inverted), it would be perfect (for
me anyway.)

By the way, we need to add high contrast to the sysconfig file list of
options.

Should I be opening a bug report to track this topic or is discussing
here on ML fine?

This fixes YaST-ncurses for normal usage, and I very much appreciate it.
But doesn't address the main concern I raised which is the installation
process itself. In that situation, because there is so much green and
white, it becomes too bright using the graphical installer. I'd like to
be able to continue to use the graphical installer, but in an inverted
high contrast mode.

While I suppose we could switch to text mode, I don't think it would be
a good approach for standard users to have to figure out to edit the
sysconfig file for accessible options. There needs to be an easier way
to go about that.

I don't know if that means we need to request additional artwork
templates or if that means some technical process that automatically
inverts everything. Whatever I can do, including advising with artwork
team, let me know how I can contribute here from a non-coder
standpoint. :-)

One more thing I'd like to raise. While I know it might get complicated
figuring out how to invert the graphical installer, it would be more
aesthetically pleasing in the long run for low-vision users. A few
months ago, I was addressing a visually-impaired audience and in my talk
I was saying "I'd like to see more websites aimed at low-vision
audiences not sacrifice beauty for functionality." I was surprised
that half the room got up and roared with appaluse. It seems many out
there are frustrated that they encounter a very boring text-like website
(or screen) instead of something just as beautiful as what sighted
people can see.

Thanks again. You rock for creating a great first step so quickly!

Bryen

--
Gabriele Mohr
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix