[yast-devel] Fixing yast git repos ; dont push until 10:00 UTC
  • From: "Bernhard M. Wiedemann" <bwiedemann@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 10:50:00 +0200

Hi Hackers,

Some weeks ago the YaST repos migrated from svn to git and are now on
github.com. As you might have heard, some(*) YaST repos have a broken
history. This was caused by a bug in svndumpfilter3 that we used in
the conversion process.

We (Martin Vidner, Daniel Schmidt and Bernhard Wiedemann) now found a
way to fix the repos without the need for everyone to reclone his
checkouts.

Please dont push anything to github.com/yast/* while we push the fixed
repos - should be finished by 10:00 UTC.

* Preconditions
1. If you don't have forks or checkouts of those yast repos, all is
fine already and you don't have to do anything.
2. If you have clones without any local changes, you can just delete
the clones and re-create them from github.
(*) To check if your repository's history was affected by the bug,
look for it in
http://www.zq1.de/~bernhard/yast-broken-list.txt

* What is Expected
You likely heard that you should not change the public history of a
git repo. We had to do exactly this because the history was just wrong.
So if you have a fork or local checkout with own commits that are not
yet pushed to github.com/yast/ then you have to do

===========================
git pull --rebase
===========================

once per affected repo and branch.

Your branch(es) should now point to the fixed history while the old
history is preserved in the "remotes/origin/broken/$BRANCH". They
should only be needed for recovery.

* What is Unexpected

If you did for some reason
git pull
it creates a bad merge commit or conflict

# if you have a merge conflict you have to
git reset --hard HEAD # reverts it

# if you get a merge commit you have to
git branch yourstuff ; git reset --hard origin/$BRANCH
git cherry-pick $commit # what you want to keep from yourstuff branch

* The Unexpected Unexpected

If you encounter any other problems, please contact us.

About libyui:
We will have a look at the situation after fixing the yast repos.
Stay tuned.

regards
Daniel, Martin and Bernhard
- --
(o_
//\
V_/_ http://www.suse.de/
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix
Imend├Ârffer, HRB 16746 (AG N├╝rnberg)