Re: [yast-devel] Popcorn YaST install integration
  • From: Lukas Ocilka <lukas.ocilka@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 14:22:12 +0200
On 04/30/2012 11:45 AM, Ionuț Arțăriși wrote:
Since both smolt and popcorn would collect statistics about the user's
machine (hardware profile + installed packages), I think the two
checkboxes should appear together during the installation process. I
think it makes sense from a UI POV, since the user is thinking about how
private (vs helpful?) they want to be with their data at this point anyway.

Presenting the two (smolt and popcorn) together, under the new "Send
Statistical Information" checkbox would be a great idea IMHO.

From my POV, "Send Statistical Information" is too generic and I as a user would definitely disable that feature ASAP. It definitely needs additional explanation, sadly, we don't have tooltpis for checkboxes (or do we? Qt allows us to use them in some cases). Also information how this could be turned on/off later should be there.

Installation is, IMO, the right place for turning this on. Maybe placing that into software proposal would make sense.

If we want at least some data, default should be :on.

I don't think this would be very helpful. The number of users who would
activate popcorn if they had to look for the activation button would
probably be much too small to make the project viable. This number of
users would be limited by their knowing about popcorn (how would they
find out about it in the first place?). Hell, I wouldn't use it if I had
to make an effort to activate it each time I installed a machine (think
about VMs that you only use for a specific purpose for a limited amount
of time).

I'd like to have a possibility to turn this on/off also on a running system but installation should be the primary one.

Bye
Lukas

--

Lukas Ocilka, Appliances Department