Re: [yast-devel] Popcorn YaST install integration
On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 09:40:33 +0200
Jiří Suchomel <jsuchome@xxxxxxx> wrote:

V Sat, 28 Apr 2012 20:32:29 +0530
Akshit Khurana <axitkhurana@xxxxxxxxx> napsáno:

Hi,

I'm working on Popcorn[1] for openSUSE this summer. Popcorn will
gather statistics determining popular packages in openSUSE, and
later for other distributions as well.

Interesting. I see two possible places (there are probably more) where
we could ask user for permission to send their data

- during installation process, at some place in the workflow, there
could be a checkbox (similar to that Debian one). That way most
users would see it and could react. However, there are too many
options in installation already, and we'd be adding new...

- it could be "hidden" in some of the configuration menus of YaST
software management module. This would be more relevant place for
gathering packages data, but users would not see it unless they'd
specifically look for it.

Jiri

Solution that is quite nice I see on Ubuntu. You start installation
( or disk partitioning ) and during slide show you can configure system
( so we can ask during installaling packages if user want to send such
data ). Advantage is that it is not slow down of operation and it is
really optional.

Josef