Re: [yast-devel] Raising YaST Awareness on FB
On Thu April 12 2012 16:46:36 Bryen M Yunashko wrote:
As some of you may or may not know, there exists a YaST fan page on
Facebook. We created this about a year ago, however we don't have much
activity on it.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/YaST/150698461670267

Watching this mailing list, there is clearly a lot of things going on in
YaST development.
You are right, there is a lot of YaST development in progress. Some locations
are are well-established and contain announcements and discussions:
lizards[1], planet suse[2] and the mailing list[3], just to mention a few.

I'm not sure why the facebook page hasn't become more accepted. Perhaps
facebook's reputation in terms of data privacy[4] isn't fully compatible with
the attitude of some open source community members. Maybe some authors don't
want to limit their posts to a small audience who has a facebook account, but
want to reach the whole open source community. Just guessing.

I personally favor centrally arranged information, it makes life easier
because you have to search one location only.

It would be helpful if someone from the YaST team
would send periodic updates to this FB page.

Currently, none of the admins on this page are directly from the YaST
team. I can add any one of you to become an admin to help maintain this
page. Just let me know your FB profile.

Bryen M Yunashko
openSUSE Project

Cheers,
Thomas

1: http://lizards.opensuse.org
2: http://planet.opensuse.org/global
3: http://lists.opensuse.org/yast-devel
4: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Facebook#Privacy_concerns

--
Thomas Goettlicher
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendörffer,