Re: [yast-devel] YaST Dialog Button Order in KDE
On Wednesday, August 31, 2011 11:54:10 am Lukas Ocilka wrote:
Dne 31.8.2011 11:40, Thomas Goettlicher napsal(a):
A wizard has multiple steps and buttons like [back], [next] or [finish].
From my point of view having only one step and renaming the buttons is a
misuse of the wizard widget because that's not a wizard anymore.

True, but I'm afraid even the

[Back] [Next]
[Back] [Finish]

style is incorrect in KDE but
http://old-en.opensuse.org/YaST/Development/Misc/Button_Order doesn't
describe the order of button for that case so I cannot tell for sure.
[back] [next] is the only intuitive button order because [next] [back] is
confusing.

The wizard uses neither gnome button order nor kde button order. It uses
wizard button order, which is [back], [next]. If one renames the buttons
it's coincidentally similar to the gnome button order.

But even the wizard should use GNOME-wizard or KDE-wizard button order,
or am I wrong?
In wizards the [next]-button's position doesn't depend one the desktop
environment, it is always on the right hand side. Everything else is
counterintuitive.

That's the reason why I think the wizard widget shouldn't be used normal
dialogs but for wizards only. To solve this issue we could create a
dialog template that offers similar functionally and respects the button
order by using the button box widget.

I've found out that we actually don't use BottonBox in defining order of
buttons in Wizard.ycp, we actually use HBox only.
That's done by purpose. We don't want to rearrange the buttons in wizards
depending on the desktop environment because it's always [back] [next] button
order in wizards.

See these functions in
Wizard.ycp:

BackNextButtonBox
CancelAcceptButtonBox
CancelOKButtonBox
AbortAcceptButtonBox

Maybe there is a quite simple solution just by using the ButtonBox
widget and letting its UI implementation to decide. My question is:
Isn't that quite a big change for our users? Do they want it? Well, I
can ask them but I wanted to know YaST Developers' point of view...

I'd propose not to use a wizard widget if the developer doesn't want to create
a wizard dialog. For non-wizard dialogs we need something else that takes care
of the button order depending on the desktop environment.

Cheers,
Thomas

Thanks
Lukas

--
Thomas Goettlicher
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendörffer,