Re: [yast-devel] Changing the Attitude to Coding YaST: debugger
Anyway, YCP is still going to be around for some time, and adding
some debugging facilities may be worth the effort.

Each and every discussion on YaST becomes to a discussion why YCP is a bad
language. I agree, YCP has its limitations from a programmer point of view.
For a user it doesn't make any difference which programming or scripting
language is used as long as YaST installs and configures the user's
workstation the right way.
From a programmer's perspective it makes a difference. And "just" adding a
debugger won't make YCP the best language everyone loves, I guess.
That's the reason why I think we should put YCP into maintenance mode and fix
critical/major bugs only and focus on real improvements at the same time.
An interesting research project would be a YaST module which is written in a
popular language that doesn't use YCP at all. When this works out a lot of
module authors will also rewrite their YaST modules. And in a couple of
centuries YaST will be 100% YCP free. :-)

That's my vision.
Thomas

--
Thomas Goettlicher
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendörffer,