Re: [yast-devel] Amaranth: Why Ruby

On 02/10/2011 06:42 AM, Gabriele Mohr wrote:
Am 09.02.2011 15:07, schrieb Martin Vidner:
Amaranth: Why Ruby
==================

- popularity among current and potential contributors
where Ruby wins the SUSE WebYaST people and other SUSE web/Rails
developers

This is a strong argument for me - I vote for Ruby.
It's also much easier to switch between teams if the same language is used.

But it also constrains the implementation to the 4 walls of SUSE. As was
pointed out on this thread other distributions predominantly use Python
for system configuration tasks.

Yes there are unanswered questions about separation of UI code from code
that actually fiddles the settings in the config files, i.e. MVC
paradigm adherence. But it might be easier to get involved in the
existing projects and drive UI separation, if necessary, than to start
from scratch with Yet another Setup Tool language (pun intended ;) ).

Robert

Novell-IBM Software Integration Center LINUX
Tech Lead
rschweikert@xxxxxxxxxx
rschweikert@xxxxxxxxxx
781-464-8147