On Monday 31 January 2011 11:10:55 Thomas Goettlicher wrote:
On Friday, January 28, 2011 04:50:10 pm Arvin Schnell wrote:
So what seems desirable and feasible? Some ideas:

1) Replace YCP with some common language? With more that 100

modules this looks impossible.

2) Allow a common language next to YCP? A good integration seems

difficult.

3) Improve YCP (at least fix bugs)? Do we want that?

4) Better bindings of C/C++ libraries for YCP?

Other suggestion?

Replacing all YCP code at once seems to be impossible. If we want to offer
a new language for YaST we should choose _one_ and then stick to it. New
modules can be written in this new language and old modules can be ported
one by one if needed and when time permits.

In the past, we have made attempts with various languages. We have enhanced
the infrastructure so that it should allow a python-only module (take Python
as an example here), we have made some prototypes, but from some reason I
cannot remember a single non-YCP module which was finished. Maybe we should
collect the issues found during these experiments, there can be easy solutions
of them.

To be honest, I see one point which makes the transition hard: YCP was a
single-purpose programming language and once you speak it fluently, you can
write new modules very quickly and effectively. Many of those of us who tried
Perl value YCP's strong typing system, for example.

I don't want to start a flame regarding this. It is not universal reason valid
for everyone but matches opinion of a group of developers based on a real-life
experience. That's why I'd like to have an overview of issues with Python,
Ruby, etc., from a real experience, ideally based on a prototype YaST module,
and see how to tackle them.

Jiri

If we choose the way as described above, YCP will stay for a longer period
and therefore it makes sense to fix major YCP bugs.

--
Regards,

Jiri Srain
YaST Team Leader