* Arvin Schnell <aschnell@xxxxxxx> [Jan 31. 2011 11:30]:
On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 10:53:51AM +0100, Klaus Kaempf wrote:

Which goals would you achieve by implementing these ideas ?

From the company point of view I see these goal:

- Keep YaST maintainable with a few people, not necessarily those
that developed it the last ten years.

I see this as a case against YCP.

- Easier integration of existing libraries, e.g. augeas, since we
still have to implement new features. Right now we start to
implement btrfs based snapshots where we will have a C++
library for the basic funcionality.

Many libraries come with bindings nowadays. Augeas provides Python,
Ruby, and Perl: http://augeas.net/download.html

Again, a case against investing into YCP.

- Make it easier for external contributions.

Where do external contributors currently struggle ? Is it YCP ? Is it
lack of documentation ? What else ?

Klaus
---