Re: [yast-devel] Building packages in OBS YaST:Head in openSUSE_Factory_zypp_Head repo
  • From: Lukas Ocilka <lukas.ocilka@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 16:36:02 +0100

Dne 4.1.2011 16:29, Ladislav Slezak napsal(a):

Hi all,

I'm thinking about openSUSE_Factory_zypp_Head repo in YaST:Head
OBS project. Do we really need to rebuild all yast packages once more for the
latest
libzypp?

I mean, currently there are 124 packages in total, but only few of them
actually depend on libzypp (pkg-bindings, *-pkg, kupdateapplet), if we
disabled
the remaining packages the build server would save quite a lot of build power.

Rebuilding complete YaST on 2 archs (i386 + x86_64) needs to rebuild ~250
packages.

Users who use the latest libzypp (from libzypp Head) would need to add both
YaST
repos (openSUSE_Factory and openSUSE_Factory_zypp_Head), but I guess there are
just few of them (if any).

So my proposal is to build only the minimal amount instead of all packages
in openSUSE_Factory_zypp_Head repo.

Your opinions?

Rather be safe than sorry. On there other hand, if there is any need to
decrease the number of packages being rebuilt, it's a way to go.

First of all, we need to answer these questions:
* How often do we rebuild these packages? Is that really so significant?
* Wouldn't maintenance of this solution cost us too much?
* Who's going to take care about it anyway?

More questions than answers but that's life :)

Bye
Lukas

- --

Lukas Ocilka, Appliances Department, Novell Inc.