Re: [yast-devel] ini-agent vs Augeas, Re: [yast-commit] r62714
  • From: Lukas Ocilka <lukas.ocilka@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 17:29:23 +0100

Dne 9.11.2010 16:57, Martin Vidner napsal(a):
On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 02:51:21PM +0100, Martin Kudlvasr wrote:
I read the "Creating a lens" tutorial and I realize that augeas is an
actual parsing tool (and not only a heap of regexps). Using it will
actually improve yast2. If zypper already has a dependency on Augeas,
that's all the more reason for doing this change.

Anyone interested in playing with it?

I'm all in. Can you suggest a place in yast2, where I can start?

One thing is enabling the use of Augeas. I think we should use the
existing Perl or Ruby bindings (we don't have RPMs yet) and write
some helper/wrapper for the YCP modules.

Please, as 'Ini' and 'Any' agents are widely used by the installation
workflow and modules used by the installation workflow, make sure that
we don't need to add too much (Ruby) to the inst-sys. From this PoV,
Perl sounds a bit better, we already have it there.

Also we can look at the current agent usage:
grep -h '^`ag_' /usr/share/YaST2/scrconf/*.scr | sort | uniq -c
(spoiler alert: Ini is the most popular, with Any the second)
and decide where the low hanging fruits are for replacement.

Low hanging fruit is for losers :D Think big! :D

Bye
Lukas

- --

Lukas Ocilka, Appliances Department, Novell Inc.