Re: [yast-devel] ini-agent vs Augeas, Re: [yast-commit] r62714
  • From: Martin Vidner <mvidner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 16:57:03 +0100
On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 02:51:21PM +0100, Martin Kudlvasr wrote:
I read the "Creating a lens" tutorial and I realize that augeas is an
actual parsing tool (and not only a heap of regexps). Using it will
actually improve yast2. If zypper already has a dependency on Augeas,
that's all the more reason for doing this change.

Anyone interested in playing with it?

I'm all in. Can you suggest a place in yast2, where I can start?

One thing is enabling the use of Augeas. I think we should use the
existing Perl or Ruby bindings (we don't have RPMs yet) and write
some helper/wrapper for the YCP modules.

Also we can look at the current agent usage:
grep -h '^`ag_' /usr/share/YaST2/scrconf/*.scr | sort | uniq -c
(spoiler alert: Ini is the most popular, with Any the second)
and decide where the low hanging fruits are for replacement.
--
Martin Vidner, YaST developer
http://en.opensuse.org/User:Mvidner