Re: [yast-devel] WebYaST WS
  • From: Klaus Kaempf <kkaempf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 10:25:38 +0200
Hi David,

* wlanmac <wlan@xxxxxxx> [May 08. 2010 08:12]:
Thanks for the info. Just to be sure, and to state the obvious, the plan
is to support the web services for use with more than just webclient?

yes, we want to establish a REST-based management service going
forward and use it e.g. for CLI based tools.

The current 'webyast-base-ws' is our current approach, leveraging
existing YaST infrastructure through Ruby on Rails.

My goal is to extend the existing Javascript/Ajax GUI of our
application such that it can be the overall system (appliance) admin
GUI by hooking into the required WebYaST services. It all works well on
our side, however, it seems the web services are not quite ready for
this kind of use yet.

Our primary focus is WebYaST for Appliances, the service backend might
not be ready for 'prime time' yet.

The REST api will also undergo some changes in the future to address
current concerns like use of a non-standard data model and the install
size of the backend.

We will discuss future changes on the yast-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxx mailing
list and we welcome all contributions !

I'm already using the Yast:Web repo (added to my SUSE Studio project)
you speak of (I think). Is this where the beta releases are distributed
from?

Yes. YaST:Web always gets the latest packages.

Klaus
---