Re: [yast-devel] yast documentation
  • From: "Duncan Mac-Vicar P." <dmacvicar@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 14:08:33 +0100
On Friday 29 January 2010 02:04:09 am stefan.eisenwiener@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hallo everybody,
I have tried to renew the greman webappearance of YaST (because it was the
oldest layout). Now I am needing some help. I'm getting to the developers
documentation, and somethings don't make sense.
-- basic YCP questions
1. Why do we need YCP. (an other scripting language would have done the
same trick) 2. Why is YCP type based.

In YaST, YCP serves more as component communication protocol than a language.
The YaST core is very similar to what you see in stuff like
http://github.com/jhaynie/kroll from Appcelerator. At that time there was not
really a good language to pick up therefore a language very close to the
definition of the component model was designed. However, there are plugins
which are able to load other languages. So if a ruby module uses a function
defined in a perl module, the communication happens trough the ycp types.

3. What is the use of Symbol and Trem Datatypes in YCP. (not the format)

Symbol is very similar to ruby symbols :hello.

4. What is the use of Byteblock Datatype.

AFAIK this is only used internally by the vm. The core is designed as a
client/server component model, therefore you can pass the types across the
wire, and a byteblock is basically code.

--
Duncan Mac-Vicar P. - Novell® Making IT Work As One™