Re: [yast-devel] WebYaST (next) Possible user experience improvements
  • From: Jiří Suchomel <jsuchome@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 14:46:49 +0100
On Friday 13 of November 2009 14:27:37 Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett wrote:

*) System services:

* collectd working... (running) start stop status
* cron working... (running) start stop status
* dbus working... (running) start stop status

Isn't that too much to read?

- I suggest to use a small icon to show if running or not), may be a
slightly animated heartbeat (soft to the eyes).
- Start and stop do not need to be separated, you can't have stop if it is
not started, they can use the same state (toggle) so the text switches to
stop after you start.
- I did not understand the "status" link, for me it looks more than a
"refresh" of the "running" text. This can be done by either having just one
refresh link for all, or just poll the server for changes using ajax.

I agree.

However, for current development, I've heard for a long time: don't care about
the UI, solve the application logic.

"Forward mail to", what goes there? an email address? How the user guess
that? he needs to think, which is what we want to avoid. Here it may useful
to enter an example greyed text that dissapears when focus is on the field
(the field value still could evaluate to empty)

I still think it would be good to provide some kind of help text. I understand
it might be disturbing to show tool tips everywhere, maybe there could be
other method.

But in general I don't believe it is possible to create completely
self-explanatory tool.

*) General

- Maintainer easter-egg

You can check pdb.suse.de.

Jiri

--
Jiri Suchomel

Lihovarská 1060/12 tel: +420 284 028 960