[yast-devel] Re: [opensuse-ruby] WebYaST: loading patches and status in the control center
  • From: Klaus Kaempf <kkaempf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 14:41:11 +0100
[Switching discussion to yast-devel]

* Ladislav Slezak <lslezak@xxxxxxx> [Nov 09. 2009 14:27]:

Hi all,

I'd like to discuss the problem reported in bug #550934
('It takes minutes to refresh "system is up to date" and "system is healthy"')

It takes very long time to load the initial patches and system status
information
which is displayed on the first page (the WebYaST control center) using AJAX
requests.

I already have implemented caching in the patches module so the available
patches are
not evaluated in every control center reload. But the first call still takes
much time...

The problem is that the first patch status request triggers repository
metadata
download and cache rebuild which in case of slow/bad/overloaded network
connection
can take several minutes (as reported in the bug).

A similar problem is in the status module, but not that serious - the status
is read
from the local machine so network is not involved in this case. And even on a
slow
machine it won't block for more than several seconds.

I have these possible solutions for reading the patch status:

* don't display the status messages at all (IMO bad solution, I find the
overview
messages quite useful...)

* make displaying of the status messages configurable (so users can hide and
disable
status loading if it's too slow)

* use a background job for reading patches (display a generic message like
"Reading patches" when the request takes too long and refresh the status
after
some time again to get the real status.)

AFAIK an AJAX request cannot be stopped (at least the [Stop] button in FF is
disabled
when the page is loaded but an AJAX request is in progress).

I'd prefer the last solution.

Me too.

Its important to present a honest explanation without being too
technical.

Maybe adding more steps to visualize progress would be helpful, i.e.
"contacting update server", "retrieving update information",
"evaluating update information", ...

Klaus
---