[yast-devel] New video reviews
  • From: Josef Reidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 20:39:07 +0100
Hi,
in short:
I update wiki page with two new videos -
http://en.opensuse.org/YaST/Web/Development/TrainingKit/Learning_Ruby_and_Rails#Videos
longer description:

First what I see is instruction video from railscast about new things
in
rails 2.3 (so little older). It introduce three features. Scope and batches is
useful for ActiveRecord (database). Third one is method try on Object. I think
it is really useful method which we should start using to simplify our code
(but do not overuse). especially if code contains
if o && o.map && o.map[:test]
you can simple type
if o.try(:map).try(:"[]",:test)
If you don't know this feature I suggest look at that short video,
because
your quality of your code is limited by your knowledge of used api.

Second one is from Gotham conference SOLID object design. I really
recommend
this video, because if you are not design guru which knows the latest news you
give a lot of new ideas how to improve your code quality (so everyone in
webyast team should look at it, especially if he want change something in
framework). The presentation shows in example what is advantage of dynamic
languages and why rails has so popular api. It shows how you can write code
which need not to modify much and which is easily extendable. Also shows what
to do if your class depends on class (libraries, modules, config files) which
is changed more often then your class. It takes 47 minutes, but it is full of
information ( I don't fall asleep which detect really good presentation and
speaker :)
--
Josef Reidinger
YaST team