Re: [yast-devel] Webyast: REST error response
  • From: Josef Reidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 16:26:55 +0200
On 08/27/2009 04:14 PM, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
On Thursday 27 August 2009, Josef Reidinger wrote:
For our purpose I think that the best sollution is to
use our own error code which is not used, ( i that one which begin 4** is
good) and in body specify type of error, needed data for generate report
(like which permission mission and for which user) and english error
description. This error description should not use frontend, as it must
match type and print localized error description.

I would suggest to not go with an own error code, but use the existing ones.
This makes it easier for generic HTTP clients. A 400 fits for most normal
errors, and details can be given in the body of the response.

Hi, thanks for comment. I study error code and looks like 400 is not
sufficient as it is Bad Request and mean that client should not repeat
request without modification, so it could case in some case (like locked
package management) problems on proxies and caches as it could filter
same request. But I find that 409 Conflict looks like sufficient as it
expect details in body and proxy should repeat request without problems.

--
Josef Reidinger
YaST team